Is Sofia Tap Water Safe to Drink?

Last Update3:48 am, May 11, 2020

Can you drink tap water in Sofia?

The tap water in Sofia, Bulgaria is of high quality and safe to drink. Some reports point out Sofia as the city with the best drinking water in Bulgaria and beyond. The results of the analysis prove that water and wastewater quality evaluation and control in Sofia, Bulgaria are delivered according to the legislation by the European Union.

Sofia Tap Water
Largo in Sofia

In a few older communities and buildings, particularly in the city center, may experience tap water with red to brown color due to aged pipes and common for water coming out of hot water pipes. The water clears typically after running for a short time.

The rusty color is produced by iron particles that break free from rotted iron or steel pipes. Though rusty water may look or taste unpleasant, it is not a health concern and has no adverse health effects.

Source of Water in Sofia, Bulgaria

Tap water in Sofia comes from the drainage basin in the alpine terrains of Rila Mountain about 80 kilometers south of the City. Then water is gathered in the Iskar Dam that provides 80% of the City’s drinking water. The other 20% supplied by Beli Iskar Dam at a higher altitude. The water passes through several water purification plants before reaching your home or valve.

The Kubratovo Wastewater Treatment Plant run by Sofiyska Voda was recognized by the Water and Energy Exchange (WEX) Global Summit 2018 for innovation in water and wastewater management. On the 14 March, and the evening of World Water Day, they held the 6th annual WEX Global Innovation Awards 2018 at Lisbon Portugal. Sofia Wastewater Treatment Plant in Kubratovo received an award for its vital contribution to the water supply and sewerage sector.

Current Weather in Sofia


Some of the Convenience Stores in Sofia

  • Dar
  • Astra 97
  • Beryozka Bulgaria
  • Fantastico
  • Farm Charm
  • Shell
  • Rompetrol
  • 2Wins Shop
  • AB market
  • Grocery Djiev
  • shop 245
  • Fresh Market
  • Joy Day
  • Green life

Estimated Price of Bottled Water

1.5-liter0.99 Лв.€0.51$0.55£0.45
500ml0.60 Лв.€0.31$0.33£0.27

Other links:

If you have found a spelling error, please, notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: