Is Ho Chi Minh Water from the Tap Safe to Drink? (2019)

The tap water in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam is not safe to drink. According to the Ministry of Health proved that the content of chlorine, broadly used to purify water as a disinfectant and bleaching agent, fails to meet required standards.

Ho Chi Minh Tap Water

Chlorine concentration was seen exceeding the maximum level in areas near the reservoirs of Saigon Water Supply Corporation (SAWACO) and being under the minimum rate in other areas far from the lakes, according to the results of the check.

In some areas, especially apartments, the chlorine content was nearly zero, as measured during the check sent out by the Department of Health and Environment Management under the ministry.

Local suggested boiling the water before use or drinking. Or you may also consider bottled water as a precaution to some who have a sensitive stomach.

Source of Water in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Currently, around 93 percent of the drinking water in Ho Chi Minh City originates from two treatment plants on the Dong Nai River and Saigon River, while the remaining 7 percent comes from groundwater reservoirs polluted by seawater intrusion and chemical contamination.

In the city, they have two primary treatment plants the Hoc Mon District and Thu Duc District. In the outer lying regions have several smaller plants that treated their water. Reservoirs treated the water by sedimentation, filtration, and chlorine disinfectant.

Due to many sources of pollution in the river courses and underground sources, the water quality is extremely degraded. Authorities have initiated international water companies to invest in the commercial development of water supply infrastructure.

Some of the Local Convenience Stores in Ho Chi Minh City

  • B’s Mart
  • GS25
  • BA plus
  • Shop & Go
  • 7-eleven
  • Circle K
  • MiniStop
  • Co.op Food Pasteur
  • FamilyMart
  • Aeon Citimart Somerset
  • DAISO
  • Supermarket Vinmart +

Estimated Price of Bottled Water

VolumeVNDUSDEURGBP
1.5-liter₫11876.28$0.51€0.47£0.42

Other sources:


Let them know

One thought on “Is Ho Chi Minh Water from the Tap Safe to Drink? (2019)”

  1. I agree with this one. I had my very first AMOEBIASIS attack when i worked in Ho Chi Minh City because of the tap water there. Thanks for sharing this info esp to those people who don’t know it yet.

Comments are closed.