Is it safe to drink tap water in Amsterdam, Netherlands? It is 100% safe to drink. Amsterdam water is filtered in the dunes around Zandvoort and is of better quality than bottled water. It also contains less calcium to protect your washing machine or water cooler.
In Europe, the highest quality of water, the safest and the cleanest tap water is in Amsterdam. Advanced technology is being used by Dutch water companies to turn surface water to pure, drinkable water without chlorine or fluoride. Tap water in Amsterdam has a score of 8.4 from a scale of 1-10.
Amsterdam citizen scientists recently ran an interesting test, to check the tap water in Amsterdam’s freshness. As expected, the result of drinking water samples was compelling. The biomass and the total bacteria count were very low. Also, about the taste and smell, it was terrific. Therefore, bottled water is not needed. Locals tend to say that tap water is much healthier than mineral water they buy in a supermarket. What is more, Amsterdam’s tap water is very soft because it contains little calcium. Not only can they drink it, but also it is relatively safe for machines like electric kettles, coffee makers, or showerheads.
Is the Netherlands Public Water Safe?
As announced by the Dutch government, drinking from water taps and public drinking fountains in Amsterdam is safe. The beginning of drinking fountains and water taps was in 1903. During this time, many residences do not have access to safe water. The government was committed to providing safe drinking water. Nowadays, it is a prevalent view –locals drinking some freshwater directly from the tap. More convenient and refreshing, especially when the temperature goes up! As a tourist, they will be happy to see that they will be able to drink free water. There are two types of drinking water taps in the city:
• Public drinking fountains – they often called them bubblers. A lot of them are green, others have decorative mosaic, and some have unique colors. Fascinating fact: the water of most city fountains gives a continuous water flow. Newly there are modified fountains that have a new feature – a push-button. They will be adding public water fountains with push buttons if the pilot project is successful.
• Water bottle filler stations or water taps – every year, days and nights, they can have some great tasting and safe water.
Some of the Local Convenience Stores in Amsterdam
- Shell Select
- Supermarket Royal XL
- Avondwinkel UNO
- Sterk Amsterdam
- Pinoy Food
- Kokkes Avondverkoop
Estimated Price of Bottled Water
- Where does our tap water come from?
- Water Quality in the NETHERLANDS
- AMSTERDAM has the Best Tap Water in the NETHERLANDS